stories told and songs sung

Life is full of stories and songs. By sharing them, maybe we see a little more clearly how we are all connected.

Name:
Location: Deep South

I grew up in Texas and then went off to college in Tennessee. There I met my future wife in a great story you'll have to hear someday. Med school was back in Texas. We got married during my 2nd year. After med school, it was on to Neurology residency in the Deep South. Now that I'm a full fledged neurologist, I'm just trying to balance it all with a new baby on the way...

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Butter

Another story. I have a friend who is seeing a patient in clinic who recently had lap banding surgery for weight loss. The surgery had no complications, but 6 weeks after the surgery and the patient still had not lost any weight. My friend found this odd, and so took more history...

Upon further questioning, the patient finally admitted that on a daily basis, she had been melting an entire tub of Country Crock butter in the microwave and drinking it. Where's Fabio and his "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" when you need him?

2 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

Whoa. That's disgusting. And it also goes to show you that some people really don't do all the stuff they ask you to do (the counseling, the nutrition education, etc.) before getting the surgery. I've seen what insurance companies require, and the list is not short. But people always find ways to bypass it because they think the surgery is a quick-fix. Honestly, what compels someone to DRINK butter?

1:15 AM  
Blogger LSI said...

That's pretty intense. There's gotta be something that drives us to do weird stuff like that, huh.

I had a friend whose little brother used to eat a stick of butter. No microwave required.

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home