stories told and songs sung

Life is full of stories and songs. By sharing them, maybe we see a little more clearly how we are all connected.

Name:
Location: Deep South

I grew up in Texas and then went off to college in Tennessee. There I met my future wife in a great story you'll have to hear someday. Med school was back in Texas. We got married during my 2nd year. After med school, it was on to Neurology residency in the Deep South. Now that I'm a full fledged neurologist, I'm just trying to balance it all with a new baby on the way...

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Another gross medical story

If you find medical stories gross, please feel free not to read the rest of this post.

I really don’t like doing pelvic exams. Thus, I was excited going into this year since I don’t rotate on ob/gyn and thought I wouldn’t have to do any more pelvic exams. Alas, I forgot about my 2 months on ER, where I ended up doing more pelvic exams than I did in all of medical school. So that brings me to my story.

It was 6:35am at the end of a typical ER nightshift, when I looked in the chart rack and saw that there was a 20 year old young lady with pelvic pain and discharge who had been waiting over 10 hours to see a doctor. I thought it would be an easy STD case, so I picked up the chart. In talking to the patient, she mentioned that incidentally she had not had a period in over 2.5 months, which was unusual for her. Her pregnancy test was negative, so I wasn’t too worried. Then we went to do the pelvic exam, and her cervix looked normal. But as I pulled back the speculum, I saw something white in the top corner of my view. I calmly turned to the nurse and asked her to retrieve some forceps or tongs. She gave me a puzzled look, but when she returned with them, I proceeded to pull out a tampon that had apparently been in there for the past 2.5 months.

The patient looked up and asked, “what is that?”
When I said it was a tampon, she said, “But I don’t use tampons. I saw something once about someone who got sick and died from leaving a tampon in too long, so I don’t use them.”
“Well, I don’t know what to say because this is definitely a tampon,” I replied.

I don’t know whether it is worse that she had it in there for so long or that she didn’t know how it got there. I mean, who’s putting things in there that she doesn’t know about? I’m glad for the patient that we found it, but I’m even more glad that I shouldn’t have to do any more pelvic exams for the rest of my career.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home