stories told and songs sung

Life is full of stories and songs. By sharing them, maybe we see a little more clearly how we are all connected.

Name:
Location: Deep South

I grew up in Texas and then went off to college in Tennessee. There I met my future wife in a great story you'll have to hear someday. Med school was back in Texas. We got married during my 2nd year. After med school, it was on to Neurology residency in the Deep South. Now that I'm a full fledged neurologist, I'm just trying to balance it all with a new baby on the way...

Monday, July 24, 2006

Pasoido-seizures

Here are two funny stories, that though they are second-hand, I thought I'd pass along.

As we in neurology like to say, not all that shakes is a seizure. The statistics are that roughly 50% of patients admitted for seizure monitoring aren't actually having seizures. Their spells are pseudoseizures, which can be conscious or unconscious. With that preface, here are the stories:

1) A colleague of mine was called to the ER last night to evaluate a patient who was having increased frequency of seizures uncontrolled on his medicine. In taking a history, she found that the patient had recently been admitted to the hospital for workup of his seizures. When she asked that patient what they had found regarding his seizures, he said, "oh, they told me that I have a type of seizure called 'pasoido-seizures' or something like that." Obviously someone didn't explain well enough to him what that term means. Either that or his denial is very strong.

2) I heard about another patient a few weeks back who was air-lifted here from another hospital, where she had been sedated/intubated for status epilepticus (prolonged or back-to-back seizures). She was allowed to wake up and had the breathing tube removed. Her first words were, "I told those ER doctors while I was seizing NOT to intubate me because I have pseudoseizures, but they did it anyway." For those who don't know, the ability to talk during a seizure pretty much rules it out as a seizure and definitely rules out status epilepticus. At least the patient had good insight into her problem.

2 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

wait, you can't be in status if you have pseudoseizures, can you?

7:14 PM  
Blogger Victor said...

Actually that story was also meant to comment a little on the ER's tendency to intubate rather hastily in some cases, as I'm sure you'll find when you rotate on ICU.

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home